FACTS AND FIGURES
Exports help grow and strengthen Kentucky’s economy. Selling to other countries helps companies ride out seasonal and regional fluctuations in sales, extend the lifecycles of their products, develop and adapt new products and diversify their dependence on sectors and clients.
In 2017, exports were 5.8% higher than in 2016.
In 2017, Kentucky set a new record for annual exports with 30.9 billion in exports reported.
While Kentucky is home to a number of large exporters, most of the state’s exporters are small and medium-sized businesses, selling products and services to nations around the globe.
2017 Export Stats
- Kentucky exports reached $30.8 billion, up 5.8% over the same period last year.
- Kentucky exported to 199 countries in 2017.
- 38% of Kentucky’s total exports have been aerospace products and parts (all countries). Kentucky’s aerospace products and parts increased by +7.9% in 2017.
- Kentucky’s top trade partner in 2017 was Canada with $7.7 billion in exports.
- In 2017, exports to China increased by 60%. The vast majority of Kentucky’s exports to China are aerospace products.
- Kentucky's exports of motor vehicles has increased by 19.3% during 2017
Source: WISERTrade and U.S. Census Foreign Trade Division
Kentucky Exports, Jobs, & Foreign Investment
- Value of Kentucky goods and services exported during (2017) = $30.8 billion.
- Kentucky jobs supported by exports in 2017 = 140,000+.
Source: Derived from information prepared by the Office of Trade and Economic Analysis, International Trade Administration, United States Department of Commerce.
Source: Derived from U.S. Census Bureau Foreign Trade Division via WISERTrade: State Database http://www.wisertrade.org.